Saturday, March 6, 2010

Day 02 → Your favorite movie

Today, my favourite movie is Life is Beautiful.

Guido's tireless pursuit of his dreams, his unflappable sense of humour, the efforts he goes to to save his son - they're inspiring, funny, charming, touching and often heart-wrenching. Regardless of my mood I can't help but be moved by Guido and Dora's determination to be together, wherever together is.

Life is Beautiful breaks my heart. It shows how human spirit can be unbreakable, the lengths people will go to for the people they love, how ultimately forces stronger than an individual can break a body, but a spirit can survive.

My friend (possibly my best friend) introduced me to Life is Beautiful. She gave me the DVD and warned me that I'd need a box of tissues, but that I'd love it. Before that I had a long list of favourite movies, for a variety of different reasons. I love Being John Malkovich, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Clueless, 10 Things I Hate About You, Love Actually, Anchorman, Zoolander, V for Vendetta, Battle Royale, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle and Grave of the Fireflies. I adore cheesy movies, I adore movies that are moving, I love funny, stupid, entertaining movies. I Am Sam made both my sister and I inconsolable.

I know I have appalling taste in movies as a rule. I really like happy endings and fluffy predictable plots to lift me up when I'm tired or unhappy. I also really like beautifully shot movies like Marie Antoinette - the movie itself is awful, Kirsten Dunst is shocking, but the imagery and cinematography are so moving and gorgeous it's impossible not to love it.

I don't know anything about movies, but I know what I dislike. In vague terms, I know what I like too. When it comes to things I like, I am pretty indecisive. I know when I don't like something, that's easy. My favourite things are more difficult. There are so many different levels of like, different situations and tags for when something clicks with you, different headspaces that things fit into. So many factors influence a favourite. A favourite anything should make you feel something. Today, Life is Beautiful made me feel. That's good enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment