Sunday, March 7, 2010

Day 03 → Your favorite television program

Like movies, and to a lesser extent books and music, I do not have an immediate, dramatic pull towards any one television show. I'm possibly not the most discerning of TV viewers when it comes to what I enjoy, and what I watch.

I like to think of myself as an optimist at least part of the time. That makes me like happy endings, resolved issues, smiles and insignificant conflicts. I am also a bit of a drama queen. Hence the draw of shows like Glee, which are based on feel-good at their core, and drama at their crust.

I also think that, along with the absolute plethora of shocking Irish TV shows, there are some very good series being made at the moment. Raw and Seacht are two such TV shows and they really deserve some recognition for not pandering to the patchwork quilt effect of most Irish TV shows. There seems to be a trend in place, throwing established Irish actors of a certain age who are fantastic on the stage but awful on TV into scenes, shows and series with commendable young Irish actors and letting them car-crash their way to a miserable result. I can only imagine that the actors must feel the same dissatisfaction we do when we see the end result.

In Ireland we seem to have an "it'll do" attitude towards anything that could be improved upon with a little more than basic effort. Irish television is a prime example. Hold soaps, such as Emmerdale, Coronation St. and Eastenders up against the most popular Irish soap, Fair City, and you will quickly see where the derogatory moniker of "Fair Shitty" has come from. Lackadaisical and lethargic television viewing should be a thing of the past when the potential and promise for so much more exists, and within easy grasp.

2 comments:

  1. Really want to get into Glee, and have only seen one episode of Raw but thought it was excellent...goody, some tv shows lined up for my summer

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the time summer comes around the full series of Glee should have been shown, so you'll be able to see all of it! To date only 13 episodes have been shown in the states, they're working on 14-22 at the moment. Those episodes are due to air in late April in the USA, so we should get them shortly after. You'll be starting right on time!

    ReplyDelete